Annual Encroachment Permit Provisions and Conditions
(scroll down for Reporting Form)
The City of Eureka will grant annual encroachment permits to the following organizations:
- Utility Companies
- Special Districts
- Contractors providing services to public utility companies - Upon Director of Public Works approval
Annual Encroachment Permit Conditions
- Annual encroachment permits are valid for 12 months, starting from date of issuance.
- Annual permit holder shall maintain current insurance and business license throughout the duration of the permit.
- Annual encroachment permits authorize the performance and completion of the following types of work: routine maintenance of existing underground and/or overhead facilities including repair and replacement of said facilities so long as the work required does not require trench excavation larger than 200 square feet, unless approved by the City of Eureka. Any work in excess shall require a separate permit.
- Any work conducted under the annual permit which requires the closing of a travel lane of traffic, or more restrictive traffic control, will require approval from the Public Works Department 48 hours prior to commencement of work.
- All traffic control shall meet the standards of the CAMUTCD.
- The permitted party must notify the City of Eureka 48 hours in advance of starting work via the city's online reporting form below. If work is considered of an emergency nature, permit holder shall notify the City of Eureka 24 hours of beginning of work.
- Allowable hours of work granted under this permit shall be per the street classification where the work occurs, as per the City of Eureka CRS Map, per the following: Local Streets: 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Collector Streets: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Arterial Streets: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. No work requiring traffic control shall occur until after 8:30 a.m. or during 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. within 600 feet of any school while in session.
- All work performed under this permit requiring excavation shall be restored (A.C. or Concrete) within 30 days of notification to the City of work commencing.
- All work conducted under this permit shall conform to the City of Eureka Trench Cut Ordinance (Eureka Municipal Code Chapter 56) and Trench and Pavement Restoration Detail M-10.1.
- A copy of all maps drawings, schematics, diagrams, images, video, etc. of City owned infrastructure created using ground penetrating radar, CCTV robotics, or push cameras, etc. in work areas covered under this permit shall be submitted to the City.
- Failure to comply with the permit conditions will be grounds for dismissal and loss of annual encroachment permit status.
City of Eureka Street Trench Ordinance
Trench Detail M-10.1
City of Eureka CRS Map
Standard Encroachment Permit Application
City of Eureka Insurance Requirements
Terms and Conditions